Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Ivory Tower of Social Science

Right now, I exist within the isolated ivory tower of academic social science. Literally, actually, since the sociology department here is housed in a massive 9-floor cream-colored tower. Stuck in the third floor lab, I am estimating growth curves that describe the change in individual attitudes toward the police as students age between grades 7 and 11. What is more disturbing, I find this level of abstraction fascinating. In fact, this is perhaps the best way to master the particular tool I am studying at the moment, because it allows me to separate theory from mathematical statistics. I don't care if attitudes change as students grow, I care to study the mechanics of seetung up growth curve models.

But the underlying issue here is really important. Can we study social science using abstract statistical methods? Obviously, I believe so. But I am a huge proponent of theory and reality driving our fancy software estimations, not the reverse. All of the excellent methodologists that I know share the same belief. Now is the time to make a plug for this book that I hope more people in the social sciences will read. Kyle recommended it to me about a year ago and I enjoyed it thoroughly; if you have time and care for the philosophy of quantifiable social science, by all means check it out.

For now, I need to finish the growth curves, the deviance tests (what a name!) and explain the variance components. Later tonight, I will contemplate the applicability of all these to questions that I actually care for. Oh, the ivory tower of academe ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home